Lisbon has some of the best art galleries that you cannot dare miss once you have come visiting the Portuguese capital. Most of them are located within the city centre where you can access them easily while few others are a few kilometers away from the central business district but this should never be a discouragement for you not to visit them.
Despite the fact that Lisbon city does not have a specific art location where exhibitions can be conducted, there are various art galleries that have been established in Rato and Bairro Alto areas where local artists dominate the mainstream European and global arts market with their excellent works. Some of the most common and popularly visited art galleries in Lisbon include:
- Jose of Azeredo centre for modern art. This centre largely consists of paintings made by famous Portuguese artists many years ago but they still reflect the modern style. Despite their old age, these arts are still attractive and they constitute the biggest part of the collection available there.
- Campo grande. This is designed exclusively for modern and upcoming Portuguese artists to display their works. Most of them have developed their skills by using the knowledge they learn from the exhibited works of fallen local artists that is still preserved in Lisbon museums. This has as a result contributed a lot in the development of art work in Lisbon to great heights.
- National museum of historic art. This one gives an opportunity for those who visit to see for themselves some of the most captivating collections in Lisbon that range from artefacts, paintings and ceramics as well as sketch works. These works are exhibited by both modern and former artists who have already exited the art world.
- Museum of popular art. This gallery houses some of the classical sculptures and paintings that have ever been done by local artists in Lisbon over the past decades. Those visiting it have the rare opportunity of sampling all kinds of arts made long before they even knew what arts is all about.
These Lisbon art galleries are furthermore known to offer several events that help to nurture as well as promote untapped talent among the youths. These events are held at varying dates every month where all young men and women from Lisbon and its outskirts are involved. The organizers also incorporate visiting young tourists who might be interested in taking part. Some of these events include:
- performing arts
- drama festivals
- sports and other outdoor events.